Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Gender roles and LGBT in the classroom


Gender and sexuality in the classroom do play a role, although I think it is often one that is overlooked.  Whether it is something we realize, or consider day to day life, certain expectations (or incorrect preconceived notions) exist in our heads that often stem from media or the home.  I doubt there are many teachers that feel they purposefully do not include LGBT or different genders as equals in their classroom.  That said, I agree with Morgan, Mancl, Kaffar & Ferrerira in that many teachers have little or no training in how to effectively teach and include LGBT students in their classes, especially those students that have learning disabilities.  I think it is important to reference not only straight couples and relationships but all types of relationship possibilities in sample questions, discussions, etc.
            As a future science teacher, I feel gender roles are issues I will need to try to constantly be aware of in my classroom because of this idea that women do not succeed in science.  Luckily for me there are plenty of female biologists I can teach students about and focus on in projects.  I think the achievement gap has closed a bit regarding expectations on gender achievement in the sciences, but it did not disappear.  Gender role differences very much still exist in society and as educators I feel it is important to work to discourage them.  For example, I discussed with a colleague today a biography on the first female sushi chef and the difficulties she faced entering a profession and training for a career that historically did not allow females in.  She faced discrimination and abuse during school and struggled to find a job despite her talents.  Situations like this exist in many fields and prove that while gender differences may be less of an issue today than in the past, they still exist. (CC)
            

No comments:

Post a Comment