Monday, October 1, 2012

Acceptence of Students with Disabilities

I found it interesting that special educators had a bias to students who identify as LGBT.  The article stated that most special educators had a belief that students with disabilites are asexual and they believed that there is no way that students with disabilites could be homosexual.

This made me think of my brother.  He has Autism and has many social defecits.  He does not really know how to communicate well with people his own age and he has no male role models in his life.  He has difficuty understanding social cues and sarcasam, as most people with Autism tend to do.  I work with my borhter at a supermarket and it got back to me that he had went up to another employee (who happened to be a minor) and told her that she "had a nice ass" when she bent over.  Some of the male employees comended him on being a "player" and the females were insulted.  They consider him to be a creep because they do not understand that he has a disabiltiy and is naiive.

My brother is like a parrot; he copies everything that he sees on TV.  He watches Jerry Springer with me and he does not understand that his show is not reality and that is not how gentlemen are supposed to act. 

I believe that it is a good idea for teachers to discuss this topoic in the classroom.  I know that i have hesitated to do such lessons in the classroom for fear of the parent's reactions. Parents are like customers; they get what they want and they run the school district.  If they do not want you teaching their child about homosexuality, than you have to respec their wishes.  If the teacher does not get any resistence from the parents then it is best to incorporate it into the curriculum.

~SS

No comments:

Post a Comment