Tuesday, October 23, 2012

How can educators promote LGBT acceptance in schools? SL

While this is still a working idea that I am playing around with, I am interested to know how as educators we would be able to promote more LGBT tolerance within schools. Knowing various people who have identified as LGBT, I realized that as these people went through school, no one ever really addressed LGBT issues, causing these students to feel somewhat isolated and confused. I am still working on how I would survey this issue. I feel that due to the amount of time we spend in the education system while we grow up, this is a crucial place for issues like these to be learned. I think that regardless of the content area, while it still may be slightly (but not impossible!) more difficult for those in the math and sciences to bring up these issues, they can be addressed in different ways and through different methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment